Furl.net import bookmarks!

Post your blog to be listed in blog.alaskagold.com -

Answers about the "newweb" - blogging, podcasting, photo sharing, bookmark sharing, and .... Ask questions and get help here.
Newman
Site Admin

Post by Newman »

Okay

This the first step:

goto this page: http://www.furl.net/import.jsp
(notice it is in MyTools tab and import) MyTools>>Import

Reading what's there - It says the imported bookmarks are created in an imported bookmarks topic and folder names are used as keywords.

First it says to export your bookmarks. Make sure you are in the Manage bookmarks part of Firefox. In the File menu select Export.

--- A dialogue box will appear and ask where to save the file. Remember where you put this. It's wise to put it somewhere for safekeeping - this also acts like a back up for your bookmarks (Ray, I'm talking to you) - I saved mine on the desktop with the name (bookmarks315) for the date March 15th

Second - Go back to the Furl.net page. Look at the bottom of the page for a "Select a bookmark file". Click on Browse and find the file you just saved / exported - bookmarks315 in my case. click on the open

back to the page click on "import it"

let's see what happens!

Newman
Site Admin

Post by Newman »

It says it might take some time and I expect it will I have something like... well, 1117 bookmarks.

Wow...

there is a display of 1 of 1117 bookmarks have been imported...

now 5

maybe I should have taken out some of the useless ones....

nah, I'll delete them once they are in furl.net

okay waiting.... 18 ... 21

take a break! You 've been working hard ... we'll finish this tonight

cheers,
nsl

Newman
Site Admin

Post by Newman »

I couldn't go through with it!

It took too long and I started to worry about my private stuff - did I delete all the stuff about ...<insert mildly taboo, but not truly offensive thing here>

So, I'm thinking of a way to import only the bookmarks we want posted...

I think there is something to do with Import and Export - I might use Internet Explorer to clean my bookmarks of the sensitive material - Export from Firefox and import to Internet Explorer - delete as nessecary - Export from Internet Explorer - Import into Furl.net.

man - I"m late

Newman
Site Admin

Post by Newman »

Okay

It's not that hard. And, of course, after going round and round, I can offer some tips.

Firefox only exports ALL bookmarks folders. Internet Explorer allows you to pick the folder to export.

So - do this

Export your bookmarks from Firefox. remember the file name and import them with Internet Explorer. Go to the Internet Explorer import export wizard (eF'ing wizards) and choose export to file and select the folder you want. Remember where you save it.

Now go to http://www.furl.net and import

it worked for me... but Furl is very different from del.icio.us. So it will take some time getting used to it.

but for now - we have imported!

peas,
nsl