Ben Couturier - Race Across America!

The people of Alaska are as interesting as the state they call home. Introduce yourself to these Alaskan characters.
Newman
Site Admin

Ben Couturier - Race Across America!

Post by Newman »

From the fanatastic blog - Good Politics Radio:
Racing Across America Ben Couturier

Ben Couturier Amazingly, Ben Couturier has moved up to 8th place in the Race Across America. He has completed 2100 of the roughly 3000 miles of the race from San Diego to Atlantic City.

Ben is about 400 miles behind the leader and won't win the event, at least not this year. Ben is only 18 years old and is about 15 years away from being at his prime for a marathon race such as RAAM.

If he can stay strong and accident free for three more days, he'll finish in Atlantic City as the youngest rider ever to finish RAAM.

He'll be passing through Indianapolis about 9:00 a.m. tomorrow morning, then it's on to Ohio before nighttime.

Ben is an amazing youth from Eagle River, Alaska, who attends Chugiak High School. He's going to have some amazing stories to tell his friends.

So, Ben what did you do this summer?

Newman
Site Admin

Congratulations, Ben!!!!

Post by Newman »

http://www.adn.com/sports/story/6666354p-6553046c.html

An adn story by Melissa DeVaughn about Ben Couturier:
Eighteen-year-old Eagle River cyclist Ben Couturier pedaled into Atlantic City, N.J., Thursday morning to become the youngest finisher in the history of the Race Across America, a race that endurance cyclists consider the world's toughest.
You may have to register to get the story.

He completed the 3,052-mile race finishing 7th place overall and breaking a record for his age group! He did it in 11 days, 3 hours and 10 minutes. Congratulations, Ben!!!!

Newman
Site Admin

Benjamin Couturier

Post by Newman »

Alaskan teenager stays cool to finish Race Across America
It wasn't what anyone expected from Benjamin Couturier.

As he crossed the finish line for the Race Across America in front of Boardwalk Hall there weren't any signs of fatigue or exhaustion. Just a huge, gaping smile.

"After finishing I noticed how nothing hurts," he said as he eyed a cake specially made for him. "That's (eating the cake) going to be the first thing I do."

Couturier became the youngest finisher in the Race Across America when he finished the race in 11 days, three hours and 10 minutes. He past Chris Kostman, who was 20 years old in 1987. Kostman got on the telephone with Couturier after the race was over to congratulate him.

But Couturier, who plans to attend the University of Alaska, didn't ride the race like many of the other riders. While their intake consisted of a liquid diet, Couturier was downing pizza, McDonald's and tons of licorice. Even as he past other riders during the race he took the time out to talk to them.

"I got a lot more sleep than many of the other riders," Couturier said. "I took it casual. I just wanted to see what it was about before I decide to do it again and go hard at it."

Last year, Couturier won a RAAM-qualifying race, the Fireweed 400 from Sheep Mountain to Valdez and back in Alaska, in 21 hours, 38 minutes and 56 seconds. He was the youngest cyclist to win that race.