Need to find

The people of Alaska are as interesting as the state they call home. Introduce yourself to these Alaskan characters.
Jazzdad57

Need to find

Post by Jazzdad57 »

Does anyone know how I can contact Gary Donofrio?

Newman
Site Admin

Who is Gary Donofrio?

Post by Newman »

He is a climber and I think lives in Fairbanks. I got this information from a Google Internet Search. Good luck!

From http://www.nps.gov/dena/home/mountainee ... /MNT90.pdf
Accidents/Incidents: The following incidents are the more significant accidents or incidents that
occurred in 1990:
Fall With Injuries; Helicopter Evacuation: On April 9th, two Alaskan mountaineers were
ascending the southeast spur of Mount Deception. The two had just completed a rest stop. The
lead climber, Gary Donofrio, started up the ridge while the second, Jim Bouchard, completed
packing his pack. They were roped together with a 50 meter rope. Before a belay was provided to
Donofrio, a huge section of cornice broke from beneath him. Donofrio began a tumbling fall
down a 75 degree slope. The fracture line had extended back to within two feet of Bouchard.
Both men’s ice axes were lost. The only option left to Bouchard to arrest the fall and prevent
being pulled off the ridge himself, was to jump off the opposite side of the ridge. This he did and
was able to stop Donofrio’s fall. Bouchard was able to eventually haul Donofrio back up to the
ridge. During the fall Donofrio had suffered internal injuries and had lost his pack. During the
next 10 hours, the pair slowly made their way back to their base camp at the 5700’ level on the
Eldridge Glacier. The following day, Bouchard skied approximately 28 miles to the Parks
Highway to report the accident. Donofrio was evacuated by the mountaineering rangers and an
US Army Chinook Helicopter later that evening.

Jazzdad57

Post by Jazzdad57 »

Yea, I saw that. That was one of the reasons I wanted to get a hold of him. We went to OSU together in the 80's and I lost touch with him when I moved to Colorado. Thanks