The Alaska Poetry League

Alaska is home to the most talented and inspirational Artists - If you are an artist, please put your information here. And if you are looking to be inspired or entertained, look here.
Newman
Site Admin

The Alaska Poetry League

Post by Newman »

The Alaska Poetry League needs a forum!

My reasons why:

1) Forums are easy. To set up and to use and to modify

2) Forums get people involved. It's hard to meet people and network. A forum gives the membership a chance to start something and share ideas - And idea sharing is good.

3) Forums move fast. You may not know the next great Slam poet is lurking on your forum. Until she posts something - way freakin cool. The web is moving so fast now and web page and email simply won't cut it.

4) Forums allow for discussion among peers. The groups work best when communication happens everywhere. Are we all trying to communicate?

5)Forums provide a history of a group. Frequently Asked questions can be addressed.

6)Forums are decentralized. It's a great way to let people help themselves. Self Service information! Got a question? - Ask it. Got an answer? - give it.

7)Forums are great for lurking. I don't know about you, but I'm shy. I can't just come to the show and not know any body. I need to read up and find out what's going on - Who is there? What have they written? What do they think about the... whatever is going on? What projects are they working on?

.... well that's seven reasons.

The short answer is that forums build, strong vibrant communities. If you want one, get one...or post a reply here and away you go.

cheers,
newman

Newman
Site Admin

The Alaska Poetry League Newsletter

Post by Newman »

-----------------------------------------------

C O N T E N T S

** Poetry Slam at Noble's Diner, Saturday evening

** Book signing by poet Jason Pierce, Aug. 12

** Sheila Wyne Studio Party, Spenard, Aug. 13

** Hawaii performance artist looking for bookings and more in Anchorage next month.

------------------------------------------------

SOUP & SLAM

Mark Muro, Jimmi Ware, Ezra Gipson, Sarah Jackson and other poets compete in the first-ever Poetry Slam at Noble's Diner on Mountain View Drive (corner Park).
Organizer and emcee is Jessie "Backdoor Poet" Scholz ... (she who competed at the Fly By Night in May from the doorway).

7 p.m. Sat. (July 23).
Admission free. One drink (or cup of soup) minimum.
First hour is family friendly. Anything goes after that.

Poets welcome to sign up at the door, or contact Jessie.

Noble's Diner -- www.noblesdiner.com
770-3811

More info -- Jessie Scholz, 332-0981, or write: [email protected]

READING, BOOK SIGNING for ANCHORAGE POET

JASON PIERCE will be at Cook Inlet Book Company at 7 p.m. Friday, Aug.12 to read his poems and sign copies of his new book, "Amateur Philosopher." Pierce calls himself "virtually unknown." Maybe no longer.

For more info about Jason and a sample of his poetry visit http://www.authorhouse.com/BookStore/It ... okid=25553

Annual SHEILA WYNE STUDIO PARTY

Always the height of the summer social and arts season in Anchorage. BBQ, beer, best of times. Live music, poetry, frolix.
Bring something to eat or something interesting to say. Bring a donation for the arts.

4 p.m. until they shut 'em down.
Saturday, Aug. 13

Studio is at 2911 Willow Street (just south of W. 29th Ave.)

HAWAII PERFORMANCE ARTIST VISITS ALASKA

KIMBERLY DARK of Hilo, Hawaii, is vacationing in Alaska on Aug. 1-19 and wants to hook up with poets and do readings.

More info about Kimberly can be found at www.kimberlydark.com

Contact her by writing [email protected]

Or call her at 808-965-6533.

Newman
Site Admin

What happened to alaskapoetry.org?

Post by Newman »

A Secret Life Unfolds Through Poetry
By Peter Porco
I began producing poetry slams at the Fly By Night club in Anchorage in May 1993 to put more poetry into my life.

As an ex-rock and roll guitarist, my secret life continues to unfold in nightclubs. I once got invited to compete in a slam as a dead poet and failed, but loved the adventure of it.
Peter Porco and daughter, Maeve

Peter Porco with his daughter, Maeve.

I wanted to hear more of that mix of words that need no apology and a boozy, maybe rowdy crowd that asks for the same thing. I wanted to mingle more with local poets and find a personal antidote to the routines of academia and journalism."

What happened to http://www.alaskapoetry.org/?