The Board is disabled....

A place for general comments and links.
Newman
Site Admin

The Board is disabled....

Post by Newman »

Spam is out of control and I can't keep up.

My plan is to get the site up and allow reading of the pages. But, because of the SPAM, you will not be able to post new topics nor reply to old topics.

Thanks for browsing the site and take care,
Newman
Alaskagold.com - "causing trouble today, for a better tomorrow"

Newman
Site Admin

Board Status

Post by Newman »

After a good 6 years, I'm updating and re-opening the forums!

Hooray!

You can (if you aren't an malicious robot or spammer) register for an account and post your own topics and reply to others.

Alaskagold.com has been around since the early days of the internet. Starting in 1995, a local engineer in Valdez, Alaska created the original site. It expanded in the following ten years to include information about Valdez and McCarthy. During the last 6 years (while I went back to school in North Carolina) it has been dormant, but still available. Recently, I've taken an interest in allowing people to post and updating pages here on the forum.

I'm looking forward to developing some creative projects with the site and providing engaging, useful information to those interested in Alaska and visiting the "last frontier"

cheers,
Newman

Northwest

Re: The Board is disabled....

Post by Northwest »

Wow. Looks like I am one of the lucky newbs that just ran into this board while finding information on the Pacific Northwest.

Sorry spammers overran your board! Here's to a better future six years.

Northwest

Post by Northwest »

Also, noticed that some of the other areas of the forum are still locked... specifically the bird watching and summertime topics. Are you slowly opening topics?

Newman
Site Admin

Post by Newman »

Welcome Northwest!

yep, I'm slowly opening up all the board topics. I've got to find that balance between allowing freedom to post and controlling SPAM.

So, now all boards are open. Feel free to post all you like.

Cheers,
newman

Northwest

Post by Northwest »

Awesome. Thank ya sir!

Northwest

Post by Northwest »

Hey Newman,
I know you want an active forum without the spam and crap post. I participate in this other travel forum and I think he has a system that works... He makes users say where they are from, and if they are from Texas and their IP is from India, he bans them and records the IP. He let's people have a signature link after 2 months/60 post; that way people can actively promote their website yet have made a time/contribution commitment already (and he alludes that if you play well, he will let you promote for yourself on the site in your signature link only). I think that people naturally want to pimp themselves so this lets you get good content and conversation on your forum, and them get what they want too.
Just thought I'd pipe in, but realize that isn't always welcome. :) Hope you're well!